TCG Bayraktar on acceptance trials in Marmara Sea this weekend. Note her Phalanx CIWS have not been fitted yet.
The first ship of the new landing ship class, TCG Bayraktar is undergoing sea trials and acceptance tests.
The contract for the construction of a new LST’s was signed between Ministry of Defence and ADIK_Furtrans shipyard on 11 May 2011. The value of the contract is 370 million Euros. It took almost two years for the shipyard to find the 370 million Euro credit to cover the project as required by the contract. The first steel was cut on 14 May 2014 at ADİK Shipyard and was launched on 3rd October 2015. The shipyard has succeeded in keeping its contractual obligation and delivering the ship in 34 months.
The second ship TCG Sancaktar is still under construction.
The Bayraktar class ships have a crew of 129 and will carry 350 soldiers. The ships have a citadel to protect the crew from effects of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons.
The closed parking area is 1100 square meters and the open deck parking area is 690 square meters enough for about 20 main battle tanks and between 24 – 60 vehicles.
The armament consists of 2 single barreled 40mm Oto Melara guns, 2 Mk15 Phalanx CIWS, 2 machine guns on a stabilized remote-controlled chassis.
The ships have a Smart Mk2 3D air/surface search radar, which not common for an amphibious ship. Furthermore there are 2 AselFLIR 300D EO directors, torpedo counter measures systems, laser warning receiver and Link 16/22 system. All these sensors and weapons will be controlled by 5 consoles of GENESIS CMS.